Re: [OCLUG-Tech] does anyone still use "dump" for backups these days?

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

 i understand that dump is ubiquitous, and that it integrates with
entries in /etc/fstab but, beyond that, does anyone seriously use dump
for official backups these days?

I haven't used it for backups for a long time but I do use it to migrate filesystems. Dump tends to be fast and clean for actions like this. I only use it on filesystems in a known consistent state. This is especially important for ext2/3/4.

The tool xfsdump has long been considered a defacto standard for backing up xfs filesystems, long after other dump utils were put out to pasture.

 but what are folks out there using for their backups these days?

For my own gear I use a Homebrew based on rsync.

Cheers,

Rob