Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:46:44 -0400
On 2017-09-20 09:05, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> > These wired network cameras default to DHCP and failing that fall
> > back to either 192.168.122.1 (or something like that IIRC...) or use
> > an IPv4 link local address (169.<mumble>?) which pretends to be
> > random with OUI or something like that to bootstrap.  It is harder
> > to expose a new device to a trusted open wifi network than to a
> > trusted wired network for initial bootstrapping.
>
>   not being an expert on security cameras, i am now simply assuming
> the really inexpensive, small form factor units simply don't have the
> real estate to support an ethernet port, so have to resort to
> something else, as we are now discovering.

Well, it is a vector for moisture too, so wireless is attractive that way
too...  Consumer demand has been going more and more wireless anyways.

> > So, there's a bit of a chicken and egg problem here.  Most wifi networks
> > require authentication now (or should!).  If your camera doesn't have a wired
> > ethernet port that you can connect to a trusted network to do the initial
> > configuration, how do you do that bootstrapping?  It looks like they've turned
> > it around so that you authenticate to it first so it is acting as a server for
> > you to connect to it, then configure it to switch from AP mode to managed mode
> > whereupon it can now connect to your secured wifi network with credentials you
> > provide.
>
>   that's the only scenario that makes sense at this point. upon
> further examination, i did notice a tiny "WPS" button on the back of
> the camera, which supports something called "zero configuration",
> which involves:

Yes, I've heard of WPS which I understand is full of security holes.

Bluetooth has similar issues.  Convenience trumps security...

> Step 1: Attach the power supply to the power input on the DCS-936L and
> connect it to a wall outlet or power strip. Power is confirmed when
> the Status LED is lit.
>
> Step 2: Press and hold the WPS button on the camera for five seconds.
> The Status LED will start to blink green. Then, press the WPS button
> on your router within two minutes. Your router will automatically
> assign your network settings to your camera.
>
> Step 3: From any computer, open a web browser, go to
> http://www.mydlink.com and log into your account. Once mydlink detects
> your camera, a New Device Found! notice will appear in the bottom
> right corner. Click on the camera from the New Devices list and then
> click Yes to add your camera. Your setup is complete.
>
>   however, the user manual is adamant that this only works with a
> registered d-link cloud router and an active "mydlink" account, so it
> doesn't really solve the problem.

Ugh.  :-P

>   one suspects i should restrict my search to cameras that have an
> ethernet port for initial configuration.

The days of the Lumenera ethernet cameras are gone.  It is now commodity
hardware.

> rday
>
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!