Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:05:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> On 2017-09-20 07:17, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > >   given that you mentioned the lumenera cameras, how would those be
> > > any different? i looked at one here:
> > >
> > > http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lumenera-Le165CP-1-4-MP-Progressive-Scan-HAD-CCD-Network-Surveillance-Camera-/201696592058?hash=item2ef60dc0ba:g:tc8AAOSw8w1X4bCe
> > >
> > > and noticed right away the photo of the back, which shows an
> > > ethernet port, so i'm assuming that would allow me to
> > > (temporarily) connect to my in-house router and configure the
> > > camera, at which point i would want to move it elsewhere and
> > > access it via wi-fi -- is that how a camera like that would
> > > work?
>
> These wired network cameras default to DHCP and failing that fall
> back to either 192.168.122.1 (or something like that IIRC...) or use
> an IPv4 link local address (169.<mumble>?) which pretends to be
> random with OUI or something like that to bootstrap.  It is harder
> to expose a new device to a trusted open wifi network than to a
> trusted wired network for initial bootstrapping.

  not being an expert on security cameras, i am now simply assuming
the really inexpensive, small form factor units simply don't have the
real estate to support an ethernet port, so have to resort to
something else, as we are now discovering.

> So, there's a bit of a chicken and egg problem here.  Most wifi networks
> require authentication now (or should!).  If your camera doesn't have a wired
> ethernet port that you can connect to a trusted network to do the initial
> configuration, how do you do that bootstrapping?  It looks like they've turned
> it around so that you authenticate to it first so it is acting as a server for
> you to connect to it, then configure it to switch from AP mode to managed mode
> whereupon it can now connect to your secured wifi network with credentials you
> provide.

  that's the only scenario that makes sense at this point. upon
further examination, i did notice a tiny "WPS" button on the back of
the camera, which supports something called "zero configuration",
which involves:

Step 1: Attach the power supply to the power input on the DCS-936L and
connect it to a wall outlet or power strip. Power is confirmed when
the Status LED is lit.

Step 2: Press and hold the WPS button on the camera for five seconds.
The Status LED will start to blink green. Then, press the WPS button
on your router within two minutes. Your router will automatically
assign your network settings to your camera.

Step 3: From any computer, open a web browser, go to
http://www.mydlink.com and log into your account. Once mydlink detects
your camera, a New Device Found! notice will appear in the bottom
right corner. Click on the camera from the New Devices list and then
click Yes to add your camera. Your setup is complete.

  however, the user manual is adamant that this only works with a
registered d-link cloud router and an active "mydlink" account, so it
doesn't really solve the problem.

  one suspects i should restrict my search to cameras that have an
ethernet port for initial configuration.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca