Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:19:15 -0400
On 2017-09-20 07:17, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > > This would surprise me and I'd take it back if that were the case,
> > > but it is possible that there is no other way to configure it.
> >
> >   given that you mentioned the lumenera cameras, how would those be
> > any different? i looked at one here:
> >
> > http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lumenera-Le165CP-1-4-MP-Progressive-Scan-HAD-CCD-Network-Surveillance-Camera-/201696592058?hash=item2ef60dc0ba:g:tc8AAOSw8w1X4bCe
> >
> > and noticed right away the photo of the back, which shows an ethernet
> > port, so i'm assuming that would allow me to (temporarily) connect to
> > my in-house router and configure the camera, at which point i would
> > want to move it elsewhere and access it via wi-fi -- is that how a
> > router like that would work?
>   ^^^^^^ "camera"

These wired network cameras default to DHCP and failing that fall back to
either 192.168.122.1 (or something like that IIRC...) or use an IPv4 link local
address (169.<mumble>?) which pretends to be random with OUI or something like
that to bootstrap.  It is harder to expose a new device to a trusted open wifi
network than to a trusted wired network for initial bootstrapping.

So, there's a bit of a chicken and egg problem here.  Most wifi networks
require authentication now (or should!).  If your camera doesn't have a wired
ethernet port that you can connect to a trusted network to do the initial
configuration, how do you do that bootstrapping?  It looks like they've turned
it around so that you authenticate to it first so it is acting as a server for
you to connect to it, then configure it to switch from AP mode to managed mode
whereupon it can now connect to your secured wifi network with credentials you
provide.

Does that make sense and answer your question, or have I completely
misunderstood the problem?

>   sorry.

No need to be sorry!  I can be a lot more dense than this sometimes until I
finally understand a simple concept and this one isn't so simple.

/me goes back to trying to come up with an audit kernel containerID proposal
that won't get torpedoed on LKML...

> rday

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!