Re: [OCLUG-Tech] VirtualBox network connection

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 03:36:20PM -0400, ProfJCNash wrote:
> I'm almost entirely a user. I know the generalities, but almost no
> specifics, of the internals.

By internals do you mean ‘the Linux kernel uses RCU here here and here,
and the functions call graph looks like this, etc.’? Or do you mean just
how IP routing works, mapping the concepts to the Linux kernel interface
and userland to configure that?

> Any idea if I need to worry about Promiscuous Mode

Assume not, and don't enable unless you know and understand how it would
fix a problem.

> and the "Cable connected" option in advanced settings?

Fluff if the host's Ethernet NIC is always connected.

> I believe the MAC address is generated and should be left alone.

Yes, unless you notice a conflict.