Re: [OCLUG-Tech] VirtualBox network connection

Thanks. See below.

On 15-07-06 03:28 PM, Alex Pilon wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 03:20:39PM -0400, ProfJCNash wrote:
>> I have some experience playing with the network settings and have had to
>> do so once or twice. But so far it has been trial and error until things
>> work. Bad practise. I should try to learn what the settings mean.
>
> Is it that you just don't understand the settings themselves, or that
> you don't understand the virtualization and networking concepts behind
> them?

I'm almost entirely a user. I know the generalities, but almost no
specifics, of the internals.

>> I have a suspicion -- to be confirmed -- that I need to work out what
>> Vbox offered network card corresponds to what I physically have,
>
> Doesn't exactly work that way. An emulated network card is just that.
> Bridge networking is the only mode that “maps” it onto a real card. The
> rest all rely on the normal kernel routing.

I do know that I had to change the Adapter Type because Win 7 didn't
have a driver for VBox's PCFast III default card. Recommended by one
posting was Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop 82540EM, and it seems to work for
web browsing. Of course, this is on the client side.

>> which usually is a wifi card,
>
> Wi-Fi won't work as-is. You'd have to NAT (MAC NAT—shivers, or IP and
> TCP/UDP nat) at the host in the kernel.

definitely outside my comfort zone.

>> though I could plug in on this machine.
>
> Save you a load of bother.

OK. Will use cable.

Any idea if I need to worry about Promiscuous Mode and the "Cable
connected" option in advanced settings? I believe the MAC address is
generated and should be left alone.

Cheers, JN