Re: [OCLUG-Tech] VirtualBox network connection

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 03:20:39PM -0400, ProfJCNash wrote:
> I have some experience playing with the network settings and have had to
> do so once or twice. But so far it has been trial and error until things
> work. Bad practise. I should try to learn what the settings mean.

Is it that you just don't understand the settings themselves, or that
you don't understand the virtualization and networking concepts behind
them?

> I have a suspicion -- to be confirmed -- that I need to work out what
> Vbox offered network card corresponds to what I physically have,

Doesn't exactly work that way. An emulated network card is just that.
Bridge networking is the only mode that “maps” it onto a real card. The
rest all rely on the normal kernel routing.

> which usually is a wifi card,

Wi-Fi won't work as-is. You'd have to NAT (MAC NAT—shivers, or IP and
TCP/UDP nat) at the host in the kernel.

> though I could plug in on this machine.

Save you a load of bother.