Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Opinions requested: LF Good low powered multi-port gateway/wireless router

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Opinions requested: LF Good low powered multi-port gateway/wireless router
  • From: Peter Meyer <petermeyer69 [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 13:51:50 +0000
Hi Alex:

I appreciate your opinions regarding both the hardware and software
requirements.  I too wish I could get my hands on a 2-4port SBC.  The
utilite tries to play into the set top/nettop market and be more of a
general purpose computer.  Their version 2 system, has dropped the second
GigE port.  I should perhaps look again at the various routers being
mentioned in these forums, I'd be interested in knowing if they have unique
hardware ports or use software to create virtual LANs.

The WLAN-WLAN, WLAN-LAN traffic is something I need to reconsider.  Most of
my need to create an isolated WLAN has to do with my create a "safe" gaming
zone for my kid and his friends and still keeping our LAN access tightly
controlled/filtered.  I guess if I treat the WLAN as its own zone, then I
should think about hardware that would support good WLAN-WLAN traffic.
Good point.

Thanks!!

Peter