Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Opinions requested: LF Good low powered multi-port gateway/wireless router

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Opinions requested: LF Good low powered multi-port gateway/wireless router
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 22:00:38 -0500

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 06:33:35PM +0000, Peter Meyer wrote:
> Stock Linux would be my first choice, but I do want a system that has a
> power budget of less than 10 Watts. (This is for home use).

Pardon me, I meant software; not disputing the choice of hardware.

> The Utilite (http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/web/utilite-overview)
> would be my best best in terms of power and has separate GMII ports.

I've been looking for a solid-cased 2-4 port SBC, *without video*, or
any extraneous components. Too bad the Utilite is just one more such
board.

> I can't forsee data ever exceeding 30Mb/s (the anticipated limitation
> of DSL in my area).

No intra-WLAN, or WLAN-LAN traffic? There was another post that
complained about that too. Sure, 802.11 is half-duplex, so you're not
losing any more throughput, but LAN-WLAN traffic will take more of a hit
than it ought, being both over the same USB bus.

> > Use tc (from iproute2) and a few iptables targets used to manage Linux
> > QoS.
>
> The QOS is a nice to have. I've been spoiled by the simple interface
> offered by Tomato. I don't know what it does with my QOS classes in the
> background.

LARTC was written a while back, and isn't too bad of an *introduction*
still, as outdated and occasionally faulty as it is. There's also this:

    http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en:ressources:dossiers:networking:traffic_control