[OCLUG-Tech] Opinions requested: LF Good low powered multi-port gateway/wireless router

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Opinions requested: LF Good low powered multi-port gateway/wireless router
  • From: Peter Meyer <petermeyer69 [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 13:52:23 -0500
Forum:

Opinions please. I am looking to build/buy something that replaces my existing router/gateway box.

My thinking is taking me in two directions. One is to replace my existing WRT54GL running Tomato with another embedded system running openWRT or build a multi-port router (raspberry pi???) with:

1. wireless N
2. unique zones and policies that separate the wifi (wlan) from the
   local network (lan) and firewall both from the internet.
3. QOS controls - This has become less of an issue as my DSL pipe is
   10/1, however I would like to add VOIP onto this network and
   prioritize its traffic above all other.

I've started prototyping this idea using a raspberry PI running Shorewall, but read discussion groups that mention that the USB hub can't handle the multiple USB<->Ethernet ports and will start dropping packets. I'll know more once I've go this set up and start pushing serious traffic through it.

The one box that might serve this firewall function well is a utilite <http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/web/utilite-overview> box that has two GIGE ports connected right to the ARM processor.

Can you make any further comments on the thinkpenguin solution <https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/free-software-wireless-n-broadband-router-gnu-linux-tpe-nwifirouter2> mentioned or other router boxes that with OpenWRT would meet the above mentioned requirements.

Thanks!!

Peter