Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Opinions requested: LF Good low powered multi-port gateway/wireless router

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Opinions requested: LF Good low powered multi-port gateway/wireless router
  • From: Peter Meyer <petermeyer69 [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 18:33:35 +0000
Hi Alex:

Stock Linux would be my first choice, but I do want a system that has a
power budget of less than 10 Watts.  (This is for home use).

My end goal is to create a separate guest account for the wireless(with
access blocked to the local lan).  I know a number of Linksys (and I hear
OpenWRT) configuration will support this.

The Utilite (http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/web/utilite-overview)
would be my best best in terms of power and has  separate GMII ports.

As for speed, I can't forsee data ever exceeding 30Mb/s (the anticipated
limitation of DSL in my area).

The QOS is a nice to have.  I've been spoiled by the simple interface
offered by Tomato.  I don't know what it does with my QOS classes in the
background.

This might make a solution with the PI possible.  Again, I need to see if
the USB hub can handle a push of traffic without dropping packets.

I mention Shorewall, as it's a firewall configuration script/tools I became
familiar with some years ago to lbridge/firewall a modem to my home network.

Alex:  Thanks for replying!!

Peter