Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Opinions requested: LF Good low powered multi-port gateway/wireless router

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 01:52:23PM -0500, Peter Meyer wrote:
>> Opinions please.  I am looking to build/buy something that replaces my
>> existing router/gateway box.
>>
>> My thinking is taking me in two directions.  One is to replace my existing
>> WRT54GL running Tomato with another embedded system running openWRT
>
> Why not just stock Linux? What are you doing that requires those
> firmwares? Just stock linux, sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1, a bit of
> iptables or nftables, dnsmasq or ISC DHCPd and your favourite caching
> and recursing nameserver, some static addressing and routes, and you're
> done, not to mention have far more control than you could hope for.
>
> But first, what are your speed requirements?
>
>> or build a multi-port router
>
> How is being multi-port exclusive?
>
>> (raspberry pi???)
>
> The Raspberry Pi *isn't* multi-port. You'll have to use tagged VLANs and
> a managed switch, like a Netgear GS-10[58]T to get around that.
>
>> with:
>> […]
>> 2. unique zones and policies that separate the wifi (wlan) from the
>>    local network (lan) and firewall both from the internet.
>
> iptables or nftables. Zones are an abstraction built by the *WRTs, that
> produce very messy rulesets, no more. Did that with my router at home
> for my two ISPs and two subnets, and it works.
>
>> 3. QOS controls - This has become less of an issue as my DSL pipe is
>>    10/1, however I would like to add VOIP onto this network and
>>    prioritize its traffic above all other.
>
> If you want to *strictly prioritize*, and aren't worried about
> starvation, you'd use the prio qdisc. The simplest would be two bands,
> one for VoIP traffic, and the other for the remainder.
>
> Use tc (from iproute2) and a few iptables targets used to manage Linux
> QoS. But before even looking at that, is your link even appropriate for
> VoIP?  What's the latency on it like? Low and predictable enough? Have
> you tested it?
>
> Mind you, if you can find good tc filter documentation, you'll be in
> luck. tc itself isn't very helpful when you enter incorrect rules. And
> I'm sorely tempted to run Linux under a debugger just to figure out
> where it's failing.
>
>> I've started prototyping this idea using a raspberry PI running Shorewall,
>
> Why Shorewall?

Some feedback on another product.

I'm in the process of pulling the trigger on getting a RouterBoard
RB2011iL-IN[1]. However, this version does not have wireless support
so you'd have to drop a wireless AP or move to the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN
[2].  It should offer everything listed in your original email.

[1] http://routerboard.com/RB2011iL-IN
[2] http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul [ dot ] belanger [ at ] polybeacon [ dot ] com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)