Re: [OCLUG-Tech] oswatcher alternative, collector of top/ps/iostat/vmstat/... info

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] oswatcher alternative, collector of top/ps/iostat/vmstat/... info
  • From: Martin Hicks <mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 09:48:13 -0400
I'll toss in PCP -- Performance Co-Pilot  http://oss.sgi.com/projects/pcp/

It does statistics collection via a logging daemon and has analysis
tools for after-the-fact investigation or graphing.  It has a plug-in
architecture to allow you to observe statistics from just about
anything, but does support many common things right out of the box,
including lots of stuff that the linux kernel reports via /proc

One thing I think is neat is that the same analysis/replay/graphing
tools can connect to a live-running machine as are used to look at
historical archives.

There's also a language called pmie that will allow trigger actions to
be invoked when certain trends occur.

There's a very active community within Redhat now that is developing
it (including at least two of the Aussies that originally designed and
implemented it at SGI way back when...)

mh