Re: [OCLUG-Tech] oswatcher alternative, collector of top/ps/iostat/vmstat/... info

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] oswatcher alternative, collector of top/ps/iostat/vmstat/... info
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 09:32:43 -0400
On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:28:59AM -0400, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> I don't know oswatcher, but based on your description the following
> would be usefule for you:
>
> munin (keeps a contstant sized database, which thins out as you look back
> in time).
>
> nagios
>
> In both cases, if there is some test they don't already do, you can
> write your own and have them use it.

My understanding is Nagios can use mrtg or rrdtool databases that also
keep a constant size database like munin (maybe munin actually uses one
of these two as well).

I should have a look at munin and nagios...  since I'm still using MRTG
and it is getting a bit out of hand and there is lots of that data that
would be better plotted on the same graph...
	http://toccata2.tricolour.ca/mrtg/mrtg-rrd.cgi/

> bjb
>
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 09:56:02AM -0400, Peter Sj?berg wrote:
> > Just wonder if it's something already out there that does something
> > similar to what oracles oswatcher does ?
> > What I'm looking for is some tool to use when analyzing server issues
> > and while oswatcher could be good it's questionable license and I don't
> > run oracle at all on most of the servers I need it.
> > The tool would collect the output of
> > ps,top,iostat,netstat,vmstat,mpstat,who,... every so often (like every
> > minute) to some kind of archive and then after so long (X hours) old
> > data is removed.
> > I can easily write something my self but before doing that I want to see
> > if someone else already taken the trouble doing it.
> >
> > Techwiz, Peter Sjoberg PGP key (12F506C8) on keyserver & homepage

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!