Re: [OCLUG-Tech] oswatcher alternative, collector of top/ps/iostat/vmstat/... info

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] oswatcher alternative, collector of top/ps/iostat/vmstat/... info
  • From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb [ at ] sourcerer [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:29:54 -0400

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:46:10AM -0400, Peter Sjöberg wrote:
> On 07/13/2013 10:55 PM, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious why nagios/munin are overkill.  I think they exactly match
> > your requirements.
> My requirement is not monitoring - that is managed in a different way.
> My problem is that something happened and I need to find out what and
> why. While nagios can alert that the load is high on a server it would't
> say exactly why and when I get to the system the cause may be gone.

Ah ... How about argus then: http://argus.tcp4me.com/.  I haven't used
it (much) myself.  I first heard about it in relation to forensics -
some custmoer of the person describing it had installed it a few years
before an incident, and when the incident happened the investigator
had all the info s/he needed because argus had been quietly saving all
kinds of data.

I see the pages describe it as "monitoring" now, but I guess you don't
have to turn on alerts if you already have monitoring software.

bjb