Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Use of libreoffice to do high school work

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Use of libreoffice to do high school work
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:00:24 -0400
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 05:26:30PM -0400, Stewart Bill wrote:

> Time   |
> *
>            |                                  *
>            |                *
>            |        *
>            |    *
>            |  *
>            |*

>                       Amount I agree with John - text can't do
> everything
>
> (Sorry, can't do courier with Evolution)

That would be one of my points is that *my* email client is a text
client that does monospaced fonts, but many others do proportional fonts
where this usage fails...  :(

> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 17:15 -0400, John C Nash wrote:
> > In my statistics courses, graphs were kind of essential. While I agree with the sentiments
> > of Bill's comment, statistics done with no graphs is generally a vegetarian steak dinner.
> >
> > The real messages are:
> >  - allow as much flexibility of tools to create material as possible
> >  - specify a format that is adequate and also compatible with the first requirement
> >  - this format should be relatively resistant to being messed up by the operating environment/
> >
> > For me, pdf did the trick, but is isn't perfect. As noted in another comment in this
> > thread, I also have found that LibreOffice works fine if you begin with a .doc created in
> > Word. Bit of a nuisance, and I've no idea why this should be.
> >
> > JN
> >
> > On 06/20/2012 04:47 PM, Stewart Bill wrote:
> > > Written at the end of the last millenium:
> > > http://www.livinginternet.com/e/ea_atsf.htm

> Bill Stewart, CEO

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!