Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Use of libreoffice to do high school work

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Use of libreoffice to do high school work
  • From: John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:13:34 -0400
As a (former) prof at uOttawa, I tried very hard to allow students to use whatever they
liked, but insisted that pdf be submitted. I also made sure the course website (actually
we started before web sites, but ...) had info on how to create the required formats in
several ways, always including some free ones (later some open source ones).

The insistence on a proprietary format shows a distinct lack of intellectual integrity.
One is sorely tempted to supply such "teachers" with "additionally featured" files that
"clean" their hard drive for them. Just a nice extra from the student.

JN