Re: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL Packet Loss

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:42:39AM -0400, rgb wrote:
> How are you collecting this data?

I run an "expect" script every minute from the cron that uses telnet to
log in and issue commands on the modem to extract the stats.  (On the
Speedtouch 5x6 series, "adsl info" is a good one.  The undocumented "debug
exec cmd='tdsl getData all'" is also handy; except, it's disabled in all
the new firmware.)  I capture the output, replace internal newlines with
tabs, prefix a date/time stamp to the record, and save it in a file.

I telnet in afresh every time.  I should probably change it to login
once and just keep issuing the command over and over every 60 seconds.
But I don't really speak "expect" or TCL; so, it's easier my way.

> I'm currently on Taksavvy, but have previously been on CIA, IGS, iStop,
> BellNexxia, all on the same type of service.  The Teksavvy line is on
> a dry loop.

Aren't all the lines really BellNexxia?  Yes, the new line I have is dry.
First one I've ever had.  Its quality is a bit better than the non-dry
line.

> As far as I'm aware, I'm not seeing any of these problems.

If you do have a modem that produces stats, you might run a similar expect
script (I'll give you mine as a starting model), or you might open a port
that would let me telnet in to fetch stats myself.  Then we could compare!

--
| Ian! D. Allen  -  idallen [ at ] idallen [ dot ] ca  -  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
| Home Page: http://idallen.com/   Contact Improv: http://contactimprov.ca/
| College professor (Open Source / Linux) via: http://teaching.idallen.com/
| Defend digital freedom:  http://eff.org/  and have fun:  http://fools.ca/

message navigation