Re: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL Packet Loss

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:17:15AM -0400, Martin Hicks wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:42:39AM -0400, rgb wrote:
> > Interesting numbers.  How are you collecting this data?  I've never tried or
> > even known that I could collect information from my DSL modem.  I don't know
> > if it makes any difference, but I've got ethernet over ATM rather than PPPoE.
> > It is the same modem, but configured slightly differently.  I've never seen a
> > configuration or statistics interface for any of my DSL modems.
> >
> > I'm currently on Taksavvy, but have previously been on CIA, IGS, iStop,
> > BellNexxia, all on the same type of service.  The Teksavvy line is on a dry
> > loop.
>
> Search around on the internet for your modem model.  It probably has an
> IP address configured that you don't know about.

Ok, I'll have to wait until I get home to check...  The only IP addresses I've
seen are ones that are used by endpoints on either side of it, so I had no idea
where to start looking...  A Quick search shows there's lots of info out
there...  thanks.  It hadn't occurred to me that it would be doing proxy
arping...

> You could collect the stats with a cron job running on a linux box, mrtg
> and a few scripts to parse the data.

Once I know the IP address and what protocols it uses it all makes sense...
Thanks.

> Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!