Re: [OCLUG-Tech] rsnapshot

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 07:06:36PM -0400, Prof J C Nash wrote:
> Has anybody got any experience with rsnapshot.

One of the awkward things about all the rsync-based backup schemes is
that they don't handle renaming nicely.  Renaming a directory causes
duplicate copies of all the files to be added to the incremental
tree instead of having hard links to already-backed-up files created.
As a result, rsync stores more data than it needs to.  If you rename a
directory near your root, you store everything multiple times.

My Ubuntu system came with BackupPC installed and running, and BackupPC
stores files based on their md5sum, which means that renaming doesn't
fool it.  No matter how many copies of a file you have, under however
many names, on however many machines, BackupPC stores just one copy.
Cool.