[OCLUG-Tech] Harddisk location on a virgin machine ??

Hi;

I am trying to figure out how BIOS first gets the address and
specifications (whatever they may be exactly) on a new machine?

Suppose I have just assembled the hardware for a new machine and am
going to fire it up for the first time, do I need a special program for
BIOS to find the hardware it needs to find?  For example, the clock, IDE
and SCSI harddrives, floppies, keyboard etc.  Are the locations stored
in BIOS ROM or does BIOS get new addresses etc. every time my machine
starts up?

I can find lots of sites that describe the operation of BIOS, but none
that shows how, in binary form, information is presented in ROM or RAM
to boot loaders (GRUB) etc.  I have looked pretty thoroughly at the
steps involved with using the machines BIOS, and how the boot loader
gets its data from BIOS, but I can't find anything that deals with how
BIOS gets specific data and how it is passed to GRUB.  The UEFI and EFI
protocols seem to be the controlling/standardized form but I can't find
how the one or the other come into play.

I think hints or sites would be sufficient to trace down the full
answer.

--
Regards Bill

message navigation