Re: [OCLUG-Tech] CUPSD question

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 06:35:28PM -0400, Hugh Campbell wrote:

> > Actually, whenever you launch a print dialog like the KDE one, it
> > connects to the CUPS server and requests a list of printers so
> > that it can fill in that drop-down list of them.  So this is
> > likely just the exact same issue as the server itself freezing.
>
> Sorry, no matter how many times I read my own posts before I push
> send, I still fail to notice ambiguities.  The Cups server is the
> same machine that is running the KDE print dialog.  It's all taking
> place on one machine.

No problem, I suspected as much.  But whether it's on the same machine
or another one, the client still has to connect to the server.

When they're on separate machines, it uses a TCP connection on port
631.  When they're on the same machine, it may use a TCP connection,
or it may just use a Unix domain connection to a socket, usually found
under /var/run/cups or similar.

Either way, it queries the server for a list of printers, and if the
server is not particularly timely in its response (as it usually
is), your graphical printer dialogue will effectively sit there
frozen for a bit.