Re: [OCLUG-Tech] CUPSD question

Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:

> Actually, whenever you launch a print dialog like the KDE one, it
> connects to the CUPS server and requests a list of printers so that it
> can fill in that drop-down list of them.  So this is likely just the
> exact same issue as the server itself freezing.
>
> Sorry I can't help with the problem itself, but at least I can offer
> some assurance that you really do have one problem, not two. ;)
>
> You may wish to run an "strace -f -p <pid>" on the CUPS server, and
> see what system call it's blocking on when it does freeze.

In addition to AIB's suggestion:

    * check to see of DNS resolution is working
    * Try surfing to http://localhost:631 from the printer server.  If
      it is a headless box, ssh in and them use lynx.  The web interface
      to CUPS generally works more reliably than the KDE or Gnome
      utilities IMHO.
    * Check the CUPS logs.  They generally do clearly outline where
      things failed.  If not, up the reporting level in cupsd.conf and
      restart.  The check the logs again.

--
Bill Strosberg