Re: [OCLUG-Tech] CUPSD question

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] CUPSD question
  • From: Hugh Campbell <hdc [ at ] fs [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:35:28 -0400
On August 17, 2006 06:08 pm, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 05:08:31PM -0400, Hugh Campbell wrote:
> > Very occasionally, when I print a document under KDE, the KDE print
> > dialog will appear, but there will be no printers defined in the
> > appropriate drop-down buttons, etc.  The blank dialog just sits
> > there frozen, unable to even be closed. It seems like it can't read
> > its own configuration and gets stuck.
>
> Actually, whenever you launch a print dialog like the KDE one, it
> connects to the CUPS server and requests a list of printers so that it
> can fill in that drop-down list of them.  So this is likely just the
> exact same issue as the server itself freezing.

Sorry, no matter how many times I read my own posts before I push send, I
still fail to notice ambiguities.  The Cups server is the same machine that
is running the KDE print dialog.  It's all taking place on one machine.

> Sorry I can't help with the problem itself, but at least I can offer
> some assurance that you really do have one problem, not two. ;)
>
> You may wish to run an "strace -f -p <pid>" on the CUPS server, and
> see what system call it's blocking on when it does freeze.

Ok, that's a great suggestion, and I will try it next time it happens.  I
couldn't visually spot any increase in CPU load on any process using top or
ps, and had no idea how else to diagnose.  Thanks Adrian.

Hugh