[OCLUG-Tech] CUPSD question

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] CUPSD question
  • From: Hugh Campbell <hdc [ at ] fs [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:08:31 -0400
I rebooted my server on Sunday at work, and since then I have been noticing
that printing from the server freezes up every now and then.  The system has
been functionning fine for many months until now.

Very occasionally, when I print a document under KDE, the KDE print dialog
will appear, but there will be no printers defined in the appropriate
drop-down buttons, etc.  The blank dialog just sits there frozen, unable to
even be closed. It seems like it can't read its own configuration and gets
stuck.

Restarting the cupsd daemon as root get things going again ("/etc/init.d/cups
restart"), even unfreezing the frozen dialog, which then proceeds normally.

However, printing works fine most of the time.  The freezing happens maybe 2
or 3 times a day on a system that is used to process all of our incoming
office mail - it gets a lot of use.

This is annoying. Any ideas where to start looking?

(Using Mandrake 2006 on an i586 - gobs of free hard drive space)

Hugh