Re: [OCLUG-Tech] alsa problems

I had this problem with a Debian Sarge installation.  It is now fixed, and I
believe the issue was with symlinks in the /etc/alsa and /etc/modutils dirs.
It was saving the information in a file that was not being read on startup.
Unfortunately, that computer is down with a dead gpu fan right now, and
the laptop I'm using doesn't seem to have the same setup.

The are only two major differences between the two installs.  First, the
dead computer was originally a Woody install, and was upgraded, while the
laptop was done with the sarge installer.  Second, the dead computer has a
kernel compiled from vanilla source code, while the laptop uses a [checks
really quick] debian pre-compiled kernel.  I'd assume that the different
setups are due to the first issue, not the second.

Anyhow, anyone having similar problems: check where the info is being saved,
'cuz I got bit by that.

--

Jeremy John Wakeman
jeremywakeman [ at ] istop [ dot ] com