Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Same Evolution - different users

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Same Evolution - different users
  • From: "Dave O'Neill" <dmo+oclug [ at ] dmo [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 19:53:23 -0400
On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 03:28:42PM -0400, William Case wrote:
> It would be ideal if KDE or Gnome (I prefer Gnome) had a desktop
> switching facility with perhaps rudimentary password protection.  Then
> one could switch between one setup and another.

You can configure gdm (Gnome's login manager) to provide multiple login
sessions.  It's been a while since I've done this, but I think it's as
simple as:
  1) edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and add
      1=Standard
     to the [servers] section, below the 0=Standard line
  2) log out of X
  3) log in via a text console and restart gdm

This should give you a second GDM login screen accessible on the 8th
virtual console (using Ctrl-Alt-F8).  You can switch between virtual
consoles at any time (use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to go back to the first one).

Something similar is also possible with XDM and KDM as well.

Cheers,
Dave