Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Same Evolution - different users

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 11:16:51 -0400
William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com> wrote:

> I use them for two separate purposes but I would like
> my mail, calendar, tasks and contacts to be the same in both.

IMHO you best option is to evaulate why you need the second user and
find another solution. The main problem, which you have just found, is
shareing some data while attempting to keep other data seperate.

One way would be to setup a set of services to hold the data. You
could use IMAP for mail, LDAP for contacts, and possibly WebDAV for the
calendar and tasks.

A second way would be to create a third user and launch evolution as
that user. Purhaps with X running on another console, the Xnest X
server, or a script that copies Xauthority info before starting
evolution. Something like (this is not tested):

xauth extract - $DISPLAY | sudo -i -u <evouser> xauth merge -
sudo -i -u <evouser> evolution

Having one console dedicated to each user, or useing the Xnest X server
is probably best. With seperate consoles you could switch between them
with CTRL-ATL-Fn. With Xnest you would enable XDMCP in gdm and run
(untested):

$ Xnest -query localhost

--
sg