Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Same Evolution - different users

Thanks Stephen;

I am going to try both of your suggestions.  If nothing else it will be
a learning opportunity.  But first perhaps there is another solution you
allude to at the top of your response.

On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 13:34 -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 11:16:51 -0400
> William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com> wrote:
>
> > I use them for two separate purposes but I would like
> > my mail, calendar, tasks and contacts to be the same in both.
>
> IMHO you best option is to evaulate why you need the second user and
> find another solution. The main problem, which you have just found, is
> shareing some data while attempting to keep other data seperate.

Perhaps there is another way to accomplish my main intent.

I am semi-retired spending a lot of pleasurable time leaning Linux.  But
I also from time-to-time have some small paying contracts for work that
is not IT related.  I am sure there are a lot of users who have two or
more roles in life.

As a linux learner (user1) I have a screen full of icons that come and
go.  Panels that are full.  Games and TV tuner etc. all over my screens.
And, I like it that way.

When I work on a project, on the other hand (user2), I like to work
clean with as little clutter as possible, with only the files and
research that I am using for that specific project visible.  When the
project is finished I put them away.

I don't think I am unique.

Only my email, to-do lists, calendar, contacts and notes are things I
want available in both places.

If you can suggest how one could achieve the above without being two
users I would appreciate it.

> One way would be to setup a set of services to hold the data. You
> could use IMAP for mail, LDAP for contacts, and possibly WebDAV for the
> calendar and tasks.
>
> A second way would be to create a third user and launch evolution as
> that user. Purhaps with X running on another console, the Xnest X
> server, or a script that copies Xauthority info before starting
> evolution. Something like (this is not tested):
>
> xauth extract - $DISPLAY | sudo -i -u <evouser> xauth merge -
> sudo -i -u <evouser> evolution
>
> Having one console dedicated to each user, or useing the Xnest X server
> is probably best. With seperate consoles you could switch between them
> with CTRL-ATL-Fn. With Xnest you would enable XDMCP in gdm and run
> (untested):
>
> $ Xnest -query localhost

Regards Bill