Re: [OCLUG-Tech] introduction to Debian packages/debian network aliases

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 10:20 -0400, Vic Gedris wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:04:37AM -0400, Peter Sjoberg wrote:
> >
> > My first issue after installing it came when I wanted to change the
> > network info. After poking around a little I
> > found /etc/networking/interfaces and the manpage but how do I add an
> > eth0:0 alias?
>
> Peter,
>
> I took a look at "man interfaces".  At the bottom, it references:
>
> "Examples of how to set up interfaces can be found in
>        /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.  "

Guess we run different versions, no such file and the end points (in a
badly linewrapped version) to

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html
where it seems to be some interesting doc to read.

Bart gave me the answer directly,

auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet static
        address 10.99.99.99
        netmask 255.0.0.0

and it worked. Now on to do the rest of the debian stuff (backup LDAP
server, dns seconday, second ntp source, secondary DHCP server,
secondary internal mail server, etc)