Re: [OCLUG-Tech] introduction to Debian packages

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 02:48:41AM -0400, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
> Other handy features:
>
>         apt-cache show pkgname
>         apt-cache search srchterm

And a few more:

   apt-cache policy pkgname
       This tells you:
          - the current installed version
          - the "candidate" version that would be installed
          - a list of all the available versions (usually only one or
            two unless you've configured extra apt sources beyond the
            main 'stable' or 'testing' and ithe security updates).
       for the given package.

   apt-show-versions -u
       This lists all packages that could be upgraded, with version
       numbers of current and candidate.  This isn't available by
       default -- you'll need to "apt-get install apt-show-versions" to
       get it.

   dpkg -L pkgname
       This lists all files provided by the given package.

I'm sure there's a FAQ somewhere with things like this, but I don't
recall where I saw it.

Cheers,
Dave