Re: [OCLUG-Tech] introduction to Debian packages

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:53:47PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:

> - how to install a package

apt-get install pkgname

> - how to remove a package

dpkg -r pkgname

> - what packages are already installed

dpkg -l
dpkg -l '*pattern*'

Alternatively to all the above, you can use a package management tool
like 'dselect' or 'aptitude'.  I use the latter exclusively.  I'm told
it's confusing, but I can't see how anyone uses dselect effectively at
all, so I guess it's a question of perspective.

Of course, whatever you use, you'll have to install it using the first
command.  Unless it's dselect, which is installed by default, I think.

Other handy features:

	apt-cache show pkgname
	apt-cache search srchterm