Re: [OCLUG-Tech] introduction to Debian packages

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] introduction to Debian packages
  • From: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:10:23 -0400
Hi Dan,

one thing that you may find different is that most packages are
configured at install time, not after install.  There are scripts that
will ask you about the configuration about your program as you install
them.  If you ever want to run those scripts again you would run
dpkg-reconfigure (see man).

That's actually a good point... Debian makes a good effort at
documenting _everything_ using man pages.

* Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-oclug [ at ] wisq [ dot ] net> [050726 02:49]:
> > - how to remove a package
>
> dpkg -r pkgname

while that is technically correct, I would also like to add that if you
want to remove a package with it's dependents you would run:

apt-get remove pkgname

> > - what packages are already installed
>
> dpkg -l
> dpkg -l '*pattern*'

apt-cache search pattern

... will also search for packages

apt-cache show pkgname

... will show you information about a package

apt-cache policy pkgname

... will show you versions that are installed, and those that would be
installed/upgraded when asked.

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

... will update your database of packages, and upgrade the packages

apt-get -s upgrade

... will run a [s]imulation, ie show you what would be
installed/upgraded.

There are tons more things to learn... the above should let you install
apache, etc.

-Bart