Forwarding to GMail (was Re: Next up: DKIM (was Re: Is the mailing list SPF setup fixed?))

  • Subject: Forwarding to GMail (was Re: Next up: DKIM (was Re: Is the mailing list SPF setup fixed?))
  • From: Dianne Skoll <dianne [ at ] skoll [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 12:29:03 -0500
On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 12:25:01 -0500
"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca> wrote:

> When I try to forward mail to a gmail account via procmail, it just
> never shows up. No bounce, nothing, no idea what's wrong.

It doesn't show up under Spam?

Anyway, simplistic forwarding of mail has been broken for at least a
couple of decades.  If you want to properly forward mail to GMail, you
need to:

1) Rewrite the sender address to one that you control and make sure it
gets an SPF "pass" from the machine relaying it to GMail

2) Either delete any DKIM-Signature: headers, or change the From: header to
one you control, delete any existing DKIM-Signature: headers and DKIM-sign
the message again to keep Google happy.

(1) and (2) are needed for many providers... not just Google.  You
also can't easily do them with procmail.  I recommend https://mailmunge.org/
(Yes... plugging my own software. :) )

Regards,

Dianne.