We used Slack last month.
And Monday I cannot be on a video meeting as I'll already be on one for another
organization -- I'll be listening to that as I don't have to contribute, just
vote -- while participating in the Linux Ottawa board.
I'm happy to use something FLOSS that works like Slack, but it needs to be set up.
Indeed, a volunteer to set up that would be VERY welcome. Is there an IRC that is
as functional as Slack? When I've tried IRC apps, there's always been a glitch of
some sort, but it's been a few years since I've tried. A quick search suggests that
there are some browser-based clients. When I tried KiwiRC for #oclug it said nashjc
was already in use -- I think that is me, but it didn't offer a way to connect.
Perhaps IRC knows I'm coming?
Note that one thing I did today was to edit the slack log to prepare the "minutes"
from the March Board. They are on the wiki now. A video meeting requires someone
to take notes or else listen to the full recording. I STRONGLY recommend a text
meeting that can be logged, and it was our disappeared Board member who more or
less pushed us to Jitsi and made work for the minute taker.
On 2022-04-21 13:51, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
On 2022-04-21 09:48, J C Nash wrote:
Agenda for Linux Ottawa Board meeting 2022-4-25 19:00
Virtual meeting open to Linux-Ottawa list members. If you have items
you want added to the agenda, please send to nashjc _at_ ncf.ca or
tug.williams _at_ gmail.com.
Meeting will be on oclug.slack.com. (And, yes, we prefer fully open
source solution -- see "volunteers" below!)
It appears we last used that two years ago. Why are we regressing from
jitsi to a proprietary walled garden?
Is there any reason we cannot use jitsi or
irc://irc.oftc.net/#oclug-board or irc://irc.oftc.net/#oclug ?
The rest of the agenda looks reasonable... preventing bus errors
- Quorum (3) needed of Board members as per AGM
Richard Guy Briggs
- Minutes of previous Board mtg
- Status of bank account
- Thanks to retiring Board members
- Who has the corporate documents?
- Have we a set of usernames, passwords etc. for our website functions?
- Updating of documents (need for formal assignment of officers)
- need to record AGM (JN is preparing a draft)
- Current bank signing officers are Scott Murphy, John Nash and
Ian Gorman. Should we add to the list?
- Need for volunteers to take on some specific tasks. Do we want to be
more focused in asking people to do something limited i.e., they can
agree to just a particular task. However, it would be good to have
at least 2 per task, as we have recent experience when someone
says they will do something then disappears.
- What can/will Board members undertake? Several of us already
have noted constraints on time/capability.
- We are allowed to appoint other Board members if there are
- keeper(s) of essential documents and information
- backup and maintenance of website (except mailing list)
- mailing list maintenance. This may or may not include
upgrade that we have wanted for some time.
- keeping of records of "corporation"
- wiki maintenance (prodding for presentation documents?)
- setting up virtual meetings (Board and general)
- possible arrangement of in-person meetings
- Future of Linux Ottawa
- Key functions: mailing list and meetings
- In-person meetings and resources (mostly human) to set up
and run, and to find suitable venue
- Talk/discussion for May 5
- Suggested topic: "Evolution of volunteer groups like Linux Ottawa
and the role of technology"
- welcome other offers for May and for the future!
slainte mhath, RGB
Richard Guy Briggs -- ~\ -- ~\ <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca> -- \___ o \@ @ Ride yer bike!
Ottawa, ON, CANADA -- Lo_>__M__\\/\%__\\/\%
Vote! -- <greenparty.ca>_____GTVS6#790__(*)__(*)________(*)(*)_________________
To unsubscribe send a blank message to linux+unsubscribe [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
To get help send a blank message to linux+help [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
To visit the archives: https://lists.linux-ottawa.org