Re: Linux-Ottawa Board meeting announcement and proposed agenda

  • Subject: Re: Linux-Ottawa Board meeting announcement and proposed agenda
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:51:05 -0400
On 2022-04-21 09:48, J C Nash wrote:
> Agenda for Linux Ottawa Board meeting 2022-4-25 19:00
>
> Virtual meeting open to Linux-Ottawa list members. If you have items
> you want added to the agenda, please send to nashjc _at_ ncf.ca or
> tug.williams _at_ gmail.com.
>
> Meeting will be on oclug.slack.com. (And, yes, we prefer fully open
> source solution -- see "volunteers" below!)

It appears we last used that two years ago.  Why are we regressing from
jitsi to a proprietary walled garden?

Is there any reason we cannot use jitsi or
irc://irc.oftc.net/#oclug-board or irc://irc.oftc.net/#oclug ?

The rest of the agenda looks reasonable...  preventing bus errors
good...

> - Quorum (3) needed of Board members as per AGM
> 		Tug Williams
>         	Ian Gorman
> 		John Nash
> 		Richard Guy Briggs
>
> - Minutes of previous Board mtg
> - Status of bank account
> - Formalities
> 	- Thanks to retiring Board members
> 	- Who has the corporate documents?
> 	- Have we a set of usernames, passwords etc. for our website functions?
> 	- Updating of documents (need for formal assignment of officers)
> 	- need to record AGM (JN is preparing a draft)
>         - Current bank signing officers are Scott Murphy, John Nash and
>           Ian Gorman. Should we add to the list?
>
> - Need for volunteers to take on some specific tasks. Do we want to be
>   more focused in asking people to do something limited i.e., they can
>   agree to just a particular task. However, it would be good to have
>   at least 2 per task, as we have recent experience when someone
>   says they will do something then disappears.
>         - What can/will Board members undertake? Several of us already
>           have noted constraints on time/capability.
>         - We are allowed to appoint other Board members if there are
>           willing helpers.
>         - keeper(s) of essential documents and information
> 	- backup and maintenance of website (except mailing list)
>         - mailing list maintenance. This may or may not include
>           upgrade that we have wanted for some time.
>         - keeping of records of "corporation"
>         - wiki maintenance (prodding for presentation documents?)
>         - setting up virtual meetings (Board and general)
>         - possible arrangement of in-person meetings
>
> - Future of Linux Ottawa
> 	- Key functions: mailing list and meetings
> 	- In-person meetings and resources (mostly human) to set up
>           and run, and to find suitable venue
>
> - Talk/discussion for May 5
> 	- Suggested topic: "Evolution of volunteer groups like Linux Ottawa
> 		and the role of technology"
>         - welcome other offers for May and for the future!

  slainte mhath, RGB
--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!