Re: Looking for help!

Quoting Callie Jones <calypsoraven [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>:

As a non-technical type,  I am very much in need of some help with a
problem that started yesterday.

I can try.

Thanks for describing the problem and what hardware and software you have
well.

I checked the
connection icon at the bottom of the screen but it kept saying disconnected
and to check connections.

The password entry line
was blinking but the password could not be entered. And that is how it
remains today.

Okay, so you have two problems, the internet is disconnected and you can't
log in.  We'll work on the log in problem first.

You said your login screen had the old background on it.

When you try to log in, can you enter your username and proceed to the password
input box?  What are you using, Cinnamon or MATE?  When you log in with your
password, does it normally show ******s while you are typing it in, or just
leaves it blank?  The next time you try entering your password, and it doesn't
work, can you try hitting cancel or go back and let me know if that works?  I
am trying to see if your system is freezing entirely on password entry or if it's
just borked on password reading.

Could all this have been caused by the update install? It certainly started
after the install but I suppose it could be a coincidence.

I suspect the internet problem is more likely caused by the upgrade than the
login problem.
'
Hope that helps,
Tom