Re: email server refuses spam

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:40:26 -0400
James <bjlockie [ at ] lockie [ dot ] ca> wrote:

[snip]

> Can the mail server have a different configuration per domain?

This is really a question for your email provider, not the list.  My
guess is they can, but maybe they don't care enough?

> I've asked. They seem to be detecting spam before spamassassin. I
> didn't even know about it before someone mentioned that email to me
> bounced. I can configure spamassassin to mark or delete spam but
> whatever it is, is happening before the message is accepted.

They may be using some DNSBLs to block stuff before the server
even sees the mail.

[...]

> I thought it would be easier to pay someone since I didn't want to
> have to keep my internet up.

For $3.50 (USD) per month, you can get a Linux KVM instance at Luna Node
and run a mail server (or web server... whatever you want.)

I have an m.1s instance (https://www.lunanode.com/pricing) that suits
me fine.  My main server is actually a much more expensive OVH
instance at *gasp* $8/month. :) The Luna Node one is a backup; I like
having one in Montreal and one in Toronto for resilience.

[...]

> I didn't think it was worth paying for full web hosting so I could
> run my own email server.

> I NEED to know if email is not delivered.

Then you need to run your own mail server.  Or at least have a provider
who will give you access to logs and be completely transparent about
what they filter.

Regards,

Dianne.