email server refuses spam

I pay for email hosting and I recently found out it has been refusing mail it thinks is spam.
I opened a ticket with the provider.
Is it normal that mail can be refused?
I'd much rather all mail is accepted but they can mark it as spam if they want. It was extra funny because the email address I use with them is gmail (in case my domain expires) and I set my gmail to forward all mail to my domain and the email confirming I opened a ticket was refused as spam by my domain. :-)
They use Exim as the mail server.
I used to use Postfix when I ran my own server and this problem was never reported to me.

namp thinks there are using Linux. :-)
Running (JUST GUESSING): Linux 4.X|3.X (87%)
OS CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:4.4 cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:3
Aggressive OS guesses: Linux 4.4 (87%), Linux 3.10 - 3.12 (86%), Linux 4.9 (86%)
No exact OS matches for host (test conditions non-ideal).

OS detection performed. Please report any incorrect result