Re: email server refuses spam

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021, James wrote:

I pay for email hosting and I recently found out it has been refusing mail it thinks is spam.
I opened a ticket with the provider.
Is it normal that mail can be refused?

Yes. To permit them some slack here, larger Mail Service Providers get a TON of spam, and have to defend against it eating up disk space and CPU before delivering it to users who don't even want it. So they may reject or discard what they think is spam as early as possible.

Is there a way for you to whitelist specific sender addresses or domains?

I'd much rather all mail is accepted but they can mark it as spam if they want.

This is an advantage of running your own email server. You can fully determine your policy. You can choose to accept all incoming messages, have Spamassassin tag them with a spam level, and filter or discard based on the level or specifics. If you receive too much spam of a certain type, you may choose to reject it completely, rather than accepting it and wasting CPU and storage before it is deleted.

It was extra funny because the email address I use with them is gmail (in case my domain expires) and I set my gmail to forward all mail to my domain and the email confirming I opened a ticket was refused as spam by my domain. :-)

Not good.

How do you know that it was refused as spam?

I have personally received some spam from a gmail account this year, and notified abuse [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com about it. I have no idea if that is a waste of time. I expect that some spammers steal credentials of a legit user, or manage to set up their own account and then burn through it as fast as they can before they are banned.

I will be talking about email, Linux email servers, and spam filtering at the next OCLUG / Linux-Ottawa meeting on Thursday July 8 at 7 p.m:

My mail, my way: Successfully setting up and operating your own Linux email server

Brett Delmage has operated an email server in his basement for 30 years.

Discover the benefits of running your own Linux mail server in your home or in a data centre. Set up your own server while learning how email, and
spam filtering, works behind the scenes.