Re: AGM -- IRC

On 2020-04-10 10:17, Rick Cuthill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I do not usually chime in but has anyone considered the following open source chat options.

The difference between IRC and chat is that IRC is a defined protocol, and chat apps are usually IM clone apps hoping to
win the network-effect lottery and lock their users in to their proprietary service.

The advantage of using the IRC protocol is that I can have one single client I can use to talk to many people.  With a
host of proprietary chat apps, I have to have a half-dozen or more chat apps to talk to a dozen or more different people
or groups.  This is not an exaggeration, this is what I have now.

A truly democratic organization would not want to exclude any members not willing to use a specific app on a specific
technology, open source or not.  OCLUG should stick to IRC and document how to use various clients for those who need help.

At least, that's my opinion.

--
smw