Re: seeking info

If you have an external drive, you could think of doing an install to
that as a way of learning. Or if you have a second machine -- maybe to
ensure you can keep working if your main one fails -- you could do that.

These days the manual installs on a bare machine are pretty easy. It's
trying to merge with existing operating systems that can be tricky.
That's the reason for mintupgrade, but it has to try to figure out all
the customizations and bring them across nicely.

The basic install (no customizations) of LM 19.3 took about 12 minutes
on my Asus laptop. That gave me web, office suite etc. and thunderbird
was ready -- I just had to enter the account credentials for gmail and
ncf. uOttawa is a bit more "fun" -- I have to use DAVMAIL because
uottawa has sold out to Micro$oft. DAVMAIL does the translation from
exchange to standard email. Doing the settings is one of those easy when
you know how things, but can be annoyingly detailed. But you are on
gmail, which to date has been easy, including setting up calendar.

Best, JN