Re: Thinking of giving away some Git courses/seminars to promote my classes

  • Subject: Re: Thinking of giving away some Git courses/seminars to promote my classes
  • From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday [ at ] crashcourse [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 05:29:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 29 Oct 2019, J C Nash wrote:

> Indeed, I'm mainly interested in pragmatic use. As indicated "cheat
> notes"...

  ironically, when i teach my full intro git class, the very, very
first thing i explain is that, while lots of people just want a git
"cheat sheet", that doesn't really help you unless you understand the
underlying architecture.

  i'm not joking ... i always start off with something like, "i
realize a lot of you just want a cheat sheet, you know, give me the 10
or 20 git commands i need to be productive, and i'm outta here." and i
immediately explain, "it doesn't work that way; unless you truly
understand something called the 'object database' and what git objects
are and how they work together, you have no chance of truly knowing
how to use git."

  so after basic git configuration and cloning a repository, i explain
very carefully about git objects (blob, tree, commit, tag), and how
they are used to represent git history, at which point there is always
a revelation on the part of the class, "oh, wow, now i get it." and
without that understanding of the underlying architecture, you're
never going to feel comfortable with git as you're never going to be
sure what it's really *doing*.

  anyway, just my $0.02. that's what i was offering to present, if
there's time and folks are interested.

rday