Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:35:10 -0400
If you want to remonstrate me personally, please take this off-list, and
certainly not Cc the OP who doesn't give a hoot.

> I replied to Rob's message before I saw your reply.

Fine. My *apologies*. I was quite hasty to reply about a pet peeve.

> Given that those two were the only two that actually worked of all the options
> I tried,

Then conversly, kindly provide your attempts. The D-Link does RTP and RTSP.

    http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/hd-wi-fi-camera-dcs936l/
    http://support.dlink.ca/emulators/dcs930L/100/helpadva.htm

HTTP for config.

> IIRC, you will have to be a bit more explicit and specific in your criticism
> if you want to be taken seriously rather than off-handedly trashing them as
> you have done for many other technologies in the past without elaborating,

I did, but I am not going to explain every single background concept, and I've
already often annoyed other users with TMI. Two, that's not fair, especially
for software certain people use and thus like to be defensive and tune out
about because they've developed emotional attachments over their long stable
lifetimes and have never known better. We are not getting into that debate
here, and I recall very specific technical points just being outright ignored.

Tools that don't do the job belong in the bitbucket.

Developers may deserve respect, but not tools.

> assuming that everybody else knows what you are talking about.

I already provided a link. I'm not going to repeat a decent third party
explanation. If you're not interested, don't read, and *THAT'S FINE*.

But I am probably not the only one who is tired of dealing with
under-maintained, bug-laden, most likely insecure software...

that *still* gets recommended. It only takes one suggestion to drag down a lot
of unsuspecting users, most of which who want it to just work and not deal with
this mess.

> Please educate us rather than effectively making us all feel stupid because we
> don't follow your unstated line of reasoning.

I did state. Follow the references if you like.

No personal attack there, but I was specific about the whole ffmpeg vs libav
shebang because some people on this list had the misfortune of being dragged
down by those distro politics. They know who they are, and they know how to
deal with it, and I am acknowledging them. The rest? They can tune out.