Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:10:30 -0400
On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 03:34:16PM -0400, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
>  using standard open source tools (such as VLC? or maybe mplayer?)

These are exactly the things I just recommended to *not* recommend.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 01:37:32PM -0400, Alex Pilon wrote:
> [1]: To anybody else, please do not ever suggest mplayer or VLC any more please
>      unless you know what you're doing. We don't need cruddy old code or UI/UX
>      complexity.

MPlayer is in extended maintenance, and could really use a cleanup. MPlayer2 is
dead and just as cruddy. Use MPV.

    https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FAQ#How_is_mpv_related_to_MPlayer

Old news. Just:

    mpv the://stream/URL

As for VLC, the UI is annoying to describe over email, and the CLI worse even
than MPlayer(2?)/MPV. At that point, just

    ffmpeg -re -i whateverYourStreamIs -whywouldyouneedanymoreflags -f sdl 'DCS-936L'

KISS. Now, if you insist on sticking an old version of Ubuntu or Debian, or any
other distro, that dragged its users down with the libav vs ffmpeg tiff, tough.