Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] can i set up a d-link DCS-936L network camera to view via linux?
  • From: Alex Pilon <alp [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 13:37:32 -0400
On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 01:19:09PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   friend just handed me a d-link DCS-936L network camera, and it would
> seem that the normal use of these is via a tablet or smartphone, but i
> would like to be able to use my fedora linux laptop and pop up a browser
> window (i'm assuming) and view what the camera is seeing in real time,
> and it's not clear how i would do that (yet).

What's the protocol that it uses to send video? Does it require any form of
authentication? I'd nmap it, sniff it, or find a manual. I know the ffmpeg
command line utility can trivially set up a receiver for quite a few protocols,
be it RTP (feed it SDP on stdin), or other. See ffmpeg-protocols(1).

[1]: To anybody else, please do not ever suggest mplayer or VLC any more please
     unless you know what you're doing. We don't need cruddy old code or UI/UX
     complexity.