be helpful, while geeqie offers many features.

Will post when I have more information.

JN

On 2017-04-20 11:48 PM, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
On 2017-04-20 17:53, J C Nash wrote:
I've been trying a number of viewers (more than I care to name!).

It seems that mapivi and the libjpeg-progs (rdjpgcom and wrjpgcom)
put the "comment" somewhere different from geeqie and pix and ....

Along with Diane, I'd have to put in a good word for geeqie.  I started with
gqview (from which geeqie was forked) and while the switchover to geeqie was a
bit difficult due to learning curve and muscle memory, I have been pretty happy
with it.  It is quite customizable.

In particular, under "Edit"->"Preferences"->"Windows"->"Overlay Screen Display"
you can customize the Image Overlay Template to list any information you want.
Since it is possible to add EXIF information as I have done for
	exif.photo.datetimeoriginal: %Exif.Photo.DateTimeOriginal%
it should be possible to add something similar for IPTC fields.  If you figure
out a recipe, I'd be interested to add it to my overlay template and
potentially start using IPTC fields myself.  Also, adding a hotkey to geeqie to
be able to easily edit IPTC fields would be a nice touch.

I've already added keyboard shortcut customizations to invoke ufraw, gimp,
rotations, pushing batches of images to my next stage of processing, etc...

You can enable/disable the overlay with "i" while viewing an image.  "j"
changes overlay histogram log/linear.  "k" changes overlay histogram
all/r/g/b/black.  It may even be possible to get the IPTC field text added to
the bottom status bar along with the file selection stats, image stats, pixel
RGB values and co-ordiate stats, zoom, etc.

Gimp and Irfanview are happy to show the comments I put in, but the
interface isn't set up for browsing the image + comments quickly.

In the next few days I'll try to set up a little review and
put it on the oclug wiki to provide a focus. Otherwise one can get
a lot of unnecessary back and forth. In part it seems jpeg files
can have information in lots of different pockets, and different
software uses different locations.

FWIW, I've found a number of review items on the net are rather
optimistic about the capabilities of some of the software. After I
installed some, I could not find some features claimed for some
apps.

Best, JN