Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Viewing jpg images with comments

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Viewing jpg images with comments
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 23:48:32 -0400
On 2017-04-20 17:53, J C Nash wrote:
> I've been trying a number of viewers (more than I care to name!).
>
> It seems that mapivi and the libjpeg-progs (rdjpgcom and wrjpgcom)
> put the "comment" somewhere different from geeqie and pix and ....

Along with Diane, I'd have to put in a good word for geeqie.  I started with
gqview (from which geeqie was forked) and while the switchover to geeqie was a
bit difficult due to learning curve and muscle memory, I have been pretty happy
with it.  It is quite customizable.

In particular, under "Edit"->"Preferences"->"Windows"->"Overlay Screen Display"
you can customize the Image Overlay Template to list any information you want.
Since it is possible to add EXIF information as I have done for
	exif.photo.datetimeoriginal: %Exif.Photo.DateTimeOriginal%
it should be possible to add something similar for IPTC fields.  If you figure
out a recipe, I'd be interested to add it to my overlay template and
potentially start using IPTC fields myself.  Also, adding a hotkey to geeqie to
be able to easily edit IPTC fields would be a nice touch.

I've already added keyboard shortcut customizations to invoke ufraw, gimp,
rotations, pushing batches of images to my next stage of processing, etc...

You can enable/disable the overlay with "i" while viewing an image.  "j"
changes overlay histogram log/linear.  "k" changes overlay histogram
all/r/g/b/black.  It may even be possible to get the IPTC field text added to
the bottom status bar along with the file selection stats, image stats, pixel
RGB values and co-ordiate stats, zoom, etc.