Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SOLVED: Home built PC w/ Win10 cannot get Ubuntu

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SOLVED: Home built PC w/ Win10 cannot get Ubuntu
  • From: jf [ at ] messier [ dot ] ca
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 12:22:03 +0000
Interesting.... Actually, when looking at the disk partitions when installing Ubuntu on the second disk (better, faster), I could see the partitions on the "Window$-esque" disk, and one partition had something about EFI in its type. So your response makes all sense now.

Thanks :-)

Quoting Francis Shim <belfrancis2001 [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] ca>:

WTG!

The message was probably due to the previous configuration information
being stored on the hard-drive that was still connected (ie: not the
drive with Windows 10). Something to make note is that UEFI usually
stores its configuration information in a small partition known as the
EFI partition. It is usually hidden from everyday file utilities; but
you can see it with Disk/Partition utilities.  The GRUB2 boot system
(the standard boot-loader used in most GNU/Linux distros) knows about
this EFI partition and will usually mount it under its boot/grub
directory tree as "efi" or something like that; hence, this way GRUB2
can work in harmony with EFI boot-up protocols and manipulate the EFI
configuration, if necessary.

Sincerely,
Frank