Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Home built PC w/ Win10 cannot get Ubuntu

On Tue, 2016-03-01 at 22:12 +0000, jf [ at ] messier [ dot ] ca wrote:

> Everything goes fine until the very end, when isntalling the
> bootloader. I get an error message saying that it cannot write the
> bootloader. None of the three options worked, actually. The first
> was
> to retry on another disk/partition, the second was to install no
> bootloader whatsoever, and the third was to cancel the install. BUT
> NO
> OPTION ACTUALLY WORKED. They all came back to the same error message.
>
> Reboot from the USB key, and try to manually run grub-install
> /dev/sda. Also get an error message.
>
> Anyone has an idea what I did wrong ? I set the motherboard to be
> in
> Legacy mode. This is a recent ASUS motherboard, on a Intel Core i3
> system.

Hi Jean-Francois,

Newer PC builds and kits might be using UEFI booting protocols instead
of the older legacy BIOS protocols; hence, grub2 (ie: not legacy GRUB
grub) does have provisions for booting from a UEFI system.

This means that you have can either disable the UEFI mode onboard or
install a Linux distribution that has the necessary certificates to
allow UEFI secure bootup.  Disabling UEFI would probably result in
problems in booting Windows Bootloader, so it is probably not the best
solution in your case, unless you want to go all Linux and legacy boot.
 There are other workarounds which can defeat the UEFI, but they are
very klutzy and do reduce security, so it really would be at your
discretion whether you can handle those risks.

The best solution is to use a Linux distribution that has the necessary
UEFI (SecureBoot) certificates: I believe some flavours of Ubuntu have
this and I know that Fedora 23 has it (Does anybody else know of which
distros can boot UEFI transparently?)

HTH (Hope this helps)

Sincerely,
Frank